Chief of Schools
| April 19, 2017
ABOUT GREEN DOT
Green Dot Public Schools Washington (wa.greendot.org) is dedicated to transforming educational opportunities for students across Washington State as part of a larger solution for educational equity and access for all students. Green Dot Washington is part of the larger Green Dot Public School network (www.greendot.org) which is the leading charter school operator in Los Angeles, one of the largest in the nation, and an important catalyst for education reform. Green Dot’s mission is to transform public education so that every student can graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life. We achieve this mission by running a high performing network of 23 secondary schools in academically underserved communities in Washington State, Los Angeles and Memphis. Our academic model is designed to create small, safe, high-performing learning environments that meet individual student needs. Learn more about our work in Los Angeles and Memphis here.
Our national network employs more than 1,000 dedicated, mission-driven teachers, administrators and staff to serve more than 10,000 students. Our academic model is designed to create small, safe, high-performing learning environments that meet individual student needs. We take the time to learn each student’s needs, and work with parents, teachers and counselors to help all students succeed.
Several of our California high schools have been recognized as “America’s Best” by Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report. In 2014, more than two-thirds (67.3%) of Green Dot California graduates completed the "A-G" course requirements needed to be considered “college-ready” by the University of California system. This college-ready graduation rate far exceeds the statewide average of 39.4%.
ABOUT GREEN DOT WASHINGTON
Green Dot Public Schools is transforming education in Washington State. Destiny Charter Middle School, in Tacoma’s Eastside neighborhood, opened in August 2015 with a founding class of 6t h graders and in 2017-18 will reach capacity serving 6t h – 8t h grade. Green Dot Washington is preparing for the launch of its new Seattle middle school which will open in August, 2017 and Seattle High School in 2018-19. Additionally, we support a partner school, Excel Charter Public School, in Kent, which will serve 7t h – 9t h grade in 2017-18. In order to support these efforts, Green Dot is building a Washington Home Office that will unparalleled coaching and support to its schools, develop relationships with community and family stakeholders, and grow strategic relationships with various statewide educational districts, agencies and nonprofit organizations. Green Dot Washington works in partnership with Green Dot’s national office in Los Angeles and Tennessee office in Memphis to provide supports to its schools.
The Chief of Schools designs and leads the academic vision of Green Dot Washington and supervises, coaches and evaluates the principals of its schools. The Chief of Schools is responsible for leading a home office team that refines and develops Green Dot Washington’s academic model to produce
breakthrough results for students and for developing and leading principal support and evaluation systems. This position also interfaces with school staff, families, and community and is a part of the Green Dot Washington home office. Being able to work both as part of a team and individually is essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- With the Executive Director and Green Dot Washington academic team, develop and lead the academic vision of the organization
- Use data to assess the effectiveness of academic program components and lead processes to adjust and build the organization’s 6-12 academic delivery model
- Manage and supervise the organization’s academic team in areas including special populations, curriculum, and assessments to ensure responsive, high quality services and supports to school leaders and teachers
- Embody Green Dot’s core values and mission to prepare all students for college, leadership, and life
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional home office team to create a joyful, mission-driven organizational culture and engage in continuous improvement cycles around academic, human capital, technological, financial and operational services to schools
- Interpret, develop, and recommend policies and regulations that govern the overall operation of Green Dot schools
- Coach and design professional development for principals and assistant principals in areas of instructional leadership, culture leadership, and resource management
- Lead the evaluation system for principals and assistant principals; supervise and evaluate school principals
- Support the organization in identifying, developing, and leading leadership opportunities for emerging school leaders
- Ensure school compliance with local policies and regulations, state requirements, and Green Dot Core Values
- Recommend budget expenditures and manage fiscal resources
- Master’s Degree (required)
- Valid Administrator credential (strongly preferred)
- School leadership experience required, with demonstrated success in improving academic achievement and closing opportunity gaps among students. Proven record of improving student achievement for students in poverty, students of diverse cultural and ethnic background, students with special needs and English language learners
- Experience with adult development and learning theory
- Ability to build the capacity of principals to provide high quality teaching and learning aligned with college ready standards
- Knowledge of and experience with high performing, research-based practices in curriculum design, student assessment, instructional pedagogy, and teacher coaching
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing hiring, evaluation, and professional development strategies and activities that ensure a high quality teaching and school leadership team
- Possesses the political and social skills which contribute to the successful growth of the organization and ensure the maintenance of high quality teaching and learning
- Demonstrated success in aligning curriculum, instruction, technology, and assessment to college ready standards
- Ability to balance the need for direction at the system level with the need for a strong sense of ownership and responsibility at the school level
- Is a visionary and an innovator who sets high expectations, leads by example and inspires high quality performance
- Is visible, approachable and communicates effectively
- Keeps the interests and needs of student learning as the central focus for the work of the organization
- Is a self-starter with a strong sense of personal accountability and responsibility that can work well in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Willing to continually learn and collaborate with all stakeholders; a good listener
Green Dot Public Schools Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of all its students.
Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted and we hire on a rolling basis. The start date for this role is flexible.