Student Support Curriculum Specialist
| April 19, 2017
ABOUT GREEN DOT
Green Dot Public Schools Washington (wa.greendot.org) is dedicated to transforming educational opportunities for students across Washington State as part of a larger solution for educational equity and access for all students. Green Dot Washington is part of the larger Green Dot Public School network (www.greendot.org) which is a leading charter school operator in Los Angeles, one of the largest in the nation, and an important catalyst for education reform. Green Dot’s mission is to transform public education so that every student can graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life. We achieve this mission by running a high performing network of 23 secondary schools in academically underserved communities in Washington State, Los Angeles and Memphis. Our academic model is designed to create small, safe, high-performing learning environments that meet individual student needs. Learn more about our work in Los Angeles and Memphis here.
Several of our California high schools have been recognized as “America’s Best” by Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report. In 2014, more than two-thirds (67.3%) of Green Dot California graduates completed the "A-G" course requirements needed to be considered “college-ready” by the University of California system. This college-ready graduation rate far exceeds the statewide average of 39.4%.
ABOUT GREEN DOT WASHINGTON
Green Dot Public Schools is transforming education in Washington State. Destiny Charter Middle School, in Tacoma’s Eastside neighborhood, opened in August 2015 with a founding class of 6t h graders and in 2017-18 will reach capacity serving 6t h – 8t h grade. Green Dot Washington is preparing for the launch of its new Seattle middle school which will open in August 2017, and Seattle high school in 2018-19. Lastly, we are in the process of bringing Excel Public Charter School, which serves 7t h – 9t h grade in Kent, WA, into the Green Dot network by fall 2017-18. In order to support these efforts, Green Dot is building a Washington Home Office that will provide unparalleled coaching and support to its schools, develop relationships with community and family stakeholders, and grow strategic relationships with various statewide educational districts, agencies and nonprofit organizations. Green Dot Washington works in partnership with Green Dot’s national office in Los Angeles and Memphis office to provide supports to its schools.
The Student Support Curriculum Specialist will support Green Dot Washington schools in meeting the rigorous demands of a college preparatory program while serving a wide range of student learning needs, including students with special needs, English language learners, and highly capable students. The Student Support Curriculum Specialist will do this through coaching and supporting teachers in differentiated instructional and classroom management practices, effective planning, and data-driven progress monitoring to support all learners in an inclusion environment, and by being part of a home office education team building an academic model that provides the opportunity for all students to access the path to college.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide teachers assistance with strategies that support the delivery of quality instruction to all students, with a particular focus on students with special needs and English Language Learners in all content areas
- Promote standards-based instruction by providing focused observations, co-planning, and professional development on research-based instructional strategies and classroom practices
- Support teachers’ accommodation and modification of network-wide unit plans, interim assessments, and other products to ensure all students can access and demonstrate success with the rigorous academic program
- Utilize the coaching cycle and varied, appropriate coaching services to promote teacher development (including self-reflection and facility with priority instructional and management techniques)
- Train teachers to manage, interpret and use daily assessment data and student work to guide instructional decisions
- Work collaboratively with other home office colleagues, school administration, and department chairs/teacher leaders to plan and facilitate school-based and network-wide professional development
- Work with the Green Dot Washington home office academic team to determine interventions and special education/English Language Learner programmatic design for schools based on their unique student populations and needs
- Work as a member of the Washington home office academic team to continue to build our academic vision, support school leaders in delivery of that vision, and assess effectiveness of that vision
- At least 4 years of classroom teaching experience
- A valid Washington state teaching credential (or valid credential from another state)
- Master’s Degree in Education or a related field (highly preferred)
- Experience teaching in a school with diverse learning needs, including students with special needs, English language learners, and students who enter school with significant academic gaps
- Solid knowledge of data-driven, academic and behavioral intervention strategies and subject matter in either English Language Arts, humanities, math and/or science
- Experience working with and helping students master Common Core Standards and/or Next Generation Science Standards using backwards design and ongoing measurement of student mastery
- Experience in collaborative planning and delivery of differentiated staff development to classroom teachers
- Ability to foster collaborative and outcomes-oriented learning environments for school and home office peers
- Capacity to build trusting 1:1 relationships with teachers and coach for growth and results
- Desire to learn and grow in one’s practice and to contribute to a larger vision for Washington state
- Solid knowledge of adult learning theory and teacher developmental needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit and comfort working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, start-up work environment
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License and/or reliable transportation as this role requires work at multiple sites (required)
Green Dot Public Schools Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of all its students.
Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted, and we hire on a rolling basis. The start date for this role is July 1, 2017.