Who are Washington’s charter public schools attracting and serving?
- In 2021-22, there are 17 charter public schools operating, serving more than 4,700 students statewide.
- 59 percent identify as Global Majority, as compared to 49 percent statewide
- 54 percent come from low-income households, as compared to 45 percent statewide
- Washington charter public school teachers are more representative of student demographics, as compared to traditional public schools statewide. 31 percent charter public school teachers are from the Global Majority, more than two times the 13 percent of Global Majority teachers in traditional public schools statewide.
- Across the charter public school sector, there is a 70 percent overall teacher retention rate. This is even higher – 84 percent – for teachers of the Global Majority.