Impact | Puget Sound Elementary (Tukwila, WA)
Impact Public Schools (IPS) invites passionate individuals with a background in operations, finance and administration to apply for the position of Assistant Principal – Operations at Impact | Puget Sound Elementary located in Tukwila, WA (just south of Seattle).
Being a part of the Impact team is a unique opportunity. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse population of students to succeed in college and impact communities as the next generation of equity-driven, innovative leaders. Our schools are small, tightly-knit families where every child is known, guided by an individual learning plan and loved by an adult mentor. Our strong community is rooted in high expectations, joy and exudes our core values:
- Bold Ambitions – We envision self-driven students and adults who develop the skills, habits and mindsets to impact communities and invent the future; we support one another in achieving step-by-step excellence along the way.
- Brave Solidarity – Diversity strengthens and enlivens us. Dissatisfied yet optimistic, we bring a lens of equity and inclusion to each decision and each day.
- Team WA – All of Washington is our team. We are powerful when we work together, so we build relationships based on empathy and strive together towards outstanding outcomes for all public school students.
- Everyone Grows – We approach each day as an opportunity to learn and grow. We work hard towards our own just-right goals, cheering each other on as we redefine potential.
- Play Big – We celebrate. We wonder. We ask. We make and invent and imagine. We play big.
- Intention – In the tiny and the huge, we keep the end in mind and reflect on the potential effects of our choices.
The Assistant Principal – Operations is responsible for all manners of non-instructional duties in an IPS school and serves as a member of the school’s leadership team. The Assistant Principal, Operations is critical to the IPS school model, which seeks to relieve the principal of most operations related obligations so that s/he can focus almost exclusively on student achievement and the professional development of the teaching faculty. The Assistant Principal, Operations reports to the School Principal and is also supported by the Home Office operations team.
Essential Functions of the IPS Assistant Principal – Operations:
- Prepare campus for the new school year by doing everything from ordering furniture, equipment, and classroom supplies to ensuring school services (i.e. student food services, student transportation services) are lined up and ready for action
- Maintain a clean, neat and highly functional campus by managing custodial personnel and third-party contracts for trash removal, recycling, maintenance, and security
- Manage the school’s food and transportation services by ensuring delivery of service and coordinating with service providers
- Manage the school’s supply and asset inventory
- Oversee the effective implementation of core school operational practices as they relate to student and staff attendance tracking, supply requests and fulfillment, student enrollment/discharges, student meal tracking, student transportation, field trip planning and execution, etc.
- Lead operations for all school events
- Implement school site testing procedures and complete data analysis as needed
- Support tracking/follow up on teacher certification and other HR documentation, on-site HR matters, and employee benefits to ensure that all employees have required documentation on file
- With the support of IPS’s Home Office, ensure that the school is adhering to all federal, state, and local compliance requirements and policies, and completing required reports on time
- Ensure that student records are properly maintained and updated
- Work with the School Principal and IPS Home Office to manage the school’s budget, and participate in monthly meetings to review/account for budget variances
- Submit invoices with sufficient information to IPS Home Office for processing
- Place and closely track school purchase orders
- Collect staff time-sheets and partner with IPS Home Office to manage any substantive changes in a school employee’s status
Management and Leadership
- Actively serve on the school’s leadership team
- Model all IPS Core Values
- Actively participate in student supervision responsibilities
- Serve as the “acting principal” when the principal is away
- Partner with IPS Home Office to develop operational systems that can be scaled across multiple schools
Knowledge, Skills and Characteristics:
- Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Ability to analyze data and information quickly
- Communication, management, and problem-solving skills necessary to ensure smooth school operation
- Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Ability to hold others accountable and to high expectations, with high support
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, but sometimes unpredictable school environment
- Willingness to work autonomously, collaboratively, and/or under the direction of senior staff, as needed
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up-my-sleeves attitude
- Strong belief in the IPS mission and educational model
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters in Business, Public Administration, Education, or related field a plus
- Minimum 2-4 years general management and/or school operations experience
- Previous start-up experience and/or experience in a high-performing school a plus
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. IPS offers a full benefits package and opportunities for professional growth.