Dean of Operations – 2022-2023
The Dean of Operations will be responsible for ensuring the effective, efficient, and values aligned school site operations.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Dean of Operations will be the non-instructional leader of the school site. The Dean will oversee attendance, child nutrition, recruitment and enrollment, facilities, field trips, health and safety, scheduling, records, testing, and transportation. The Dean will also support key compliance projects and manage operations team members, which may include a Community Engagement Manager, Office Assistant(s) and a Food Server.
The ideal candidate is a results-driven, systems-oriented leader with people and project management experience. The ideal candidate possesses excellent communication skills, and can quickly build strong relationships with faculty, families, staff, and students.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with the knowledge, skills and habits they need to lead a fulfilled life? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools.
Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. 100% of Summit graduates are college ready and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned teachers to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What You’ll Do:
- Manage systems and processes to support daily attendance and collaborate with Executive Director to ensure school meets student attendance goals
- Ensure regular attendance reports are submitted on time, accurately and in compliance.
- Oversee implementation and compliance of attendance interventions including truancy protocols.
Recruitment and Enrollment
- Manage systems and processes to support recruitment and enrollment and collaborate with Executive Director to oversee recruitment of new students and ensure school meets enrollment goals (School is fully enrolled)
- Manage lotteries and registration for prospective students and ensure compliance with charter petition
- Manage re-enrollment for current students (100% forms collected by first day of school)
Health and Safety
- Ensure that site is safe and secure and in compliance, including management of site safety plan (100% emergency drills completed on time, safety plan updated annually, annual safety inspection passed)
- Coordinate site emergency drills and liaise with local emergency departments
- Ensure student incidents are recorded and reported accurately and on time.
- Coordinate site health and nursing services; this includes hearing and vision screening.
- Ensure that field trips are safe and compliant.
Technology and Facilities
- Manage inventory of technology equipment and ensure that chromebooks are kept in good care.
- Manage facilities maintenance, coordinate repairs and liaise with landlords.
- Coordinate with facilities team on site upgrades.
- Oversee child nutrition program and daily meal service; this includes required training and certification.
- Ensure compliance with the National School Lunch Program.
- Manage meal application collection and processing.
Records and Testing
- Oversee intake and ongoing maintenance of student cumulative files to ensure accuracy and compliance, including processing records requests for entering and exiting students.
- Manage incoming transfers and transcript requests
- Oversee distribution of report cards and transcripts.
- Support planning, preparation and administration for standardized tests
- Support design of school master schedule.
- Build student schedules for start of the school year.
- Manage student scheduling maintenance throughout the school year.
- Coordinate daily bussing and manage public transit program.
- Manage transportation reporting and ensure compliance.
- Oversee transportation management for field trips and other school activities.
- Serve as a member of the school leadership team.
- Manage Community Engagement Manager, Office Assistant(s), and Food Server.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree is strongly preferred.
- Operations and/or prior school experience is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in project and people management is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with data or analysis is preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Valid CPR/First Aid certification
- Clear health and background check.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You possess excellent organizational and project management skills, with an obsession for details.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of faculty and community members.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
In addition to joining a highly motivated team and engaging in meaningful work, you’ll have access to a comprehensive suite of benefits including a retirement plan, unlimited “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays, and 3 weeks of organization-wide closures during the year. You and your dependents will have access to multiple health, dental, and vision plans as well as employee life and disability insurance at no cost. Our compensation policy strives to be equitable and transparent. The salary for this position starts at $77,305 and goes up to $101,729 commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
To see Summit Public Schools’ full non-discrimination statement as it relates to students and parents along with designated compliance coordinators for each school, see HERE for Washington and HERE for California. To see Summit Public Schools’ full non-discrimination statement as it relates to employees, see here for Washington and here for California.