Impact Public Schools (Tukwila, WA)
Impact Public Schools (IPS) invites passionate individuals with a background in finance to apply for the position of Director of Finance located in Tukwila, WA (just south of Seattle). Opportunities for growth for ambitious, high-performing individuals include Chief Financial Officer.
Being a part of the Impact team is a unique opportunity. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse population of students to succeed in college and impact communities as the next generation of equity-driven, innovative leaders. Our schools are small, tightly-knit families where every child is known, guided by an individual learning plan and loved by an adult mentor. Our strong community is rooted in high expectations, joy and exudes our core values:
- Bold Ambitions – We envision self-driven students and adults who develop the skills, habits and mindsets to impact communities and invent the future; we support one another in achieving step-by-step excellence along the way.
- Brave Solidarity – Diversity strengthens and enlivens us. Dissatisfied yet optimistic, we bring a lens of equity and inclusion to each decision and each day.
- Team WA – All of Washington is our team. We are powerful when we work together, so we build relationships based on empathy and strive together towards outstanding outcomes for all public school students.
- Everyone Grows – We approach each day as an opportunity to learn and grow. We work hard towards our own just-right goals, cheering each other on as we redefine potential.
- Play Big – We celebrate. We wonder. We ask. We make and invent and imagine. We play big.
- Intention – In the tiny and the huge, we keep the end in mind and reflect on the potential effects of our choices.
The Director of Finance is responsible for budgeting, accounting, and financial reporting critical to the successful operations of Impact Public Schools. Impact Public Schools has a high degree of financial complexity, as it operates multiple entities and reports out to the state, its authorizer, and funders. The Director of Finance reports to the CFO/COO and works closely with principals, assistant principals, and home office leaders.
Essential Functions of the Director of Finance:
- In partnership with CFO/COO, study each line item to develop budgets for Impact Public Schools and each school that are increasingly accurate and precise.
- Develop budgets for different scenarios to support CFO/COO and CEO in planning and strategy development.
- Identify, research, and recommend cost-saving strategies.
Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable
- Verify that Impact Public Schools collects all accounts receivable in full each month, following up on funds that are not received.
- Gather all accounts payable information, submit to accounting firm, ensure approvals are properly secured and stored, and ensure that vendors are paid correctly.
- Monitor bank accounts to ensure alignment with AR/AP.
- Oversee accounting firm to ensure accuracy and ensure we achieve clean audits.
Payroll & Benefits
- Accurately run payroll for whole organization 1/month.
- Accurately manage benefits collections/payments.
- Accurately manage retirement collections, reporting and payments, working in collaboration with DRS as special circumstances arise.
Compliance & Insurance
- Ensure Impact is in compliance with its fiscal policies, all requirements of law, requirements of its authorizer, and requirements of funders. Track changes in applicable legislation and work with CFO/COO to implement updates as needed.
- Maintain adequate insurance in compliance with requirements of authorizer, Board, and any other appropriate entities. Manage relationship with insurer and complete risk analysis as needed to support CFO/COO and CEO in evaluating different options.
- Reviewing for accuracy and sharing monthly Profit & Loss Detail, Budget to Actuals, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement, and Bank Account Reconciliations. Collaborate with accounting firm to correct any issues.
- Review reports with CFO/COO, CEO, and school principals.
- Prepare memos and reports for Impact Public Schools board and finance committee.
- Prepare monthly reports necessary for state funding and ensure related backup documents (time and effort logs, etc.) are stored and complete.
- Lead audit process, working with accounting firm, CPA, state auditor’s office, and others.
- Consistently codify practices to build redundancy and develop systems that will increase efficiency and support rapid growth of organization.
- Develop training information, resources, and provide ongoing support to principals and other home office employees so they can understand and effectively manage their site/team budgets.
Knowledge, Skills and Characteristics:
- Systems-Builder: Experience and relentless commitment to building, monitoring, and maintaining systems to realize efficiency and prepare for the organization to scale.
- Finance Expert: Strong financial management, reporting, and analysis skills. Deep accounting knowledge. Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically. Ability to analyze data and information quickly.
- Manages Effectively & Holds a High Bar: Excellent communication, collaboration, management, and problem-solving skills. Ability to hold others accountable and to high expectations, with high support. Committed to growing and welcomes feedback.
- Thrives in Startup Environment: Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, but sometimes unpredictable school environment. Willingness to work autonomously, collaboratively, and/or under the direction of senior staff, as needed. Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up-my-sleeves attitude.
- Commitment to Mission & Equity: Strong belief in the IPS mission and educational model. Demonstrated commitment to equity. Exceptionally high integrity.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters in Business, Public Administration, or related field a plus
- Minimum 2-4 years financial management experience
- Previous start-up experience and/or experience in a high-performing school a plus
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. IPS offers a full benefits package and opportunities for professional growth.
Commitment to Diversity:
IPS seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Equal employment opportunity and respect in the workplace are fundamental principles at Impact Public Schools (IPS). IPS prohibits and does not tolerate harassment, intimidation, bullying, discriminatory, or retaliatory behavior. All aspects of your employment are based upon your personal capabilities and qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, disability, age, military status, marital status, partnership status, status as a victim of domestic violence, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected class as established by federal, state, or local law. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Jen Wickens, CEO, 3438 S. 148th St., Tukwila , WA 98186, (206)712-7640, email@example.com.
Interested in this position? Please visit impactps.org/careers to apply online. You will be asked to submit a resume and cover letter.