Please visit Impact’s careers page to apply for this position.
Founding Principal | Renton
Who You Are
Impact Public Schools (IPS) is seeking a passionate leader with a proven track record of improving student outcomes. You are fiercely committed to closing the opportunity gap and launching a school that is academically rigorous, full of joy, and deeply values social emotional learning. You are excited by the opportunity to open a school with the backing of a strong organization and a proven model.
Why This is a Unique Opportunity
- Launch a school! And, do this with the backing of an organization that has a defined academic model, world class social emotional learning curriculum, high quality operations support, and a relentless commitment to equity.
- Impact is a leading organization in Washington’s growing charter school sector that is getting exceptional results. You would be joining a fantastic team that is meeting mission.
- Impact leaders and teachers are fiercely committed to closing the opportunity gap. You would be part of a values aligned org that is hard working, passionate, and full of joy.
Commitment to Diversity:
IPS seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our community.
Impact currently operates two elementary schools in the Seattle region and is opening a third school in Tacoma. This posting is to open Impact’s fourth school in Renton. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse population of students to succeed in college and impact communities as the next generation of equity-driven, innovative leaders. Our schools are tightly-knit families where every child is known and loved by an adult mentor. Our strong community is rooted in high expectations, joy, and guiding core values:
- Bold Ambitions – We envision self-driven students and adults who develop the skills, habits and mindsets to impact communities and invent the future; we support one another in achieving step-by-step excellence along the way.
- Brave Solidarity – Diversity strengthens and enlivens us. Dissatisfied yet optimistic, we bring a lens of equity and inclusion to each decision and each day.
- Team WA – All of Washington is our team. We are powerful when we work together, so we build relationships based on empathy and strive together towards outstanding outcomes for all public school students.
- Everyone Grows – We approach each day as an opportunity to learn and grow. We work hard towards our own just-right goals, cheering each other on as we redefine potential.
- Play Big – We celebrate. We wonder. We ask. We make and invent and imagine. We play big.
- Intention – In the tiny and the huge, we keep the end in mind and reflect on the potential effects of our choices.
Essential Functions of an IPS Principal:
Academics and Instruction:
- Lead staff professional development in alignment with Impact’s academic model
- Ensure that instructional coaching is implemented with fidelity and that teachers achieve their professional practice goals
- Ensure the IPS instructional model is executed with fidelity across classrooms
- Regularly analyze data to inform action plans and accomplish school goals
- Lead for equity and work with teachers to ensure that all scholars are meeting their academic goals and making appropriate progress
- Implement and execute a culture system that holds all students to high expectations, promotes joy across campus, and emphasizes restorative practices
- Lead events and celebrations that promote IPS core values, spread joy, and create an inclusive school environment
- Model and uphold IPS core values at all times
Faculty Development and Satisfaction
- Attract, develop, and retain exceptional talent
- Evaluate the performance of teachers and other school employees and coach them on their individual development
- Build an inclusive, trusting, and joyous faculty culture
- Maintain structures to promote proactive, clear, and ongoing communication between school leadership and faculty
- Develop and maintain strong family partnerships, utilizing family structures, newsletters, and individual conversations to build trust and buy-in with all families
- Ensure that teacher-family relationships are positive, supportive, and trusting
- Lead events aimed at promoting the school in the community, including student recruitment events.
- Oversee members of the admin team to make sure they are meeting expectations and supporting the ongoing improvement of the school
- Maintain work hours beyond school hours for other professional duties or functions such as faculty meetings, supervision of student events etc.
- Maintain a balanced and mission aligned budget with Home Office team
- Participate in events aimed at promoting or developing IPS and its schools
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years teaching and/or leadership experience, at the elementary level, with a history of success in closing the opportunity gap
- A strong understanding of early childhood development
- Proven track record of success leading adults and a commitment to education reform
- Deep belief in Impact Public Schools mission, vision, and values
- Exceptional project management skills
- Proven management and team building skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Expertise in teaching literacy and mathematics
- Ability and enthusiasm to build relationships with students, faculty members, families, and external partners
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment.
- A commitment to working successfully with a diverse student body and team of adults.
- The ability to effectively relate to and engage students in relationships in one-on-one, small group and large group settings
- A commitment to use data and technology to personalize learning for both adults and students
- Experience in making data driven decisions
- Experience in planning and implementing quality professional development and instructional coaching
- An ability to model, live, and reinforce the school’s core values inside and outside the classroom with colleagues, scholars, families, and the larger community
- Optimism, resiliency, curiosity, perseverance, a sense of humor, and a burning passion for personal growth and student success.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of all students.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Equal employment opportunity and respect in the workplace are fundamental principles at Impact Public Schools (IPS). IPS prohibits and does not tolerate harassment, intimidation, bullying, discriminatory, or retaliatory behavior. All aspects of your employment are based upon your personal capabilities and qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, disability, age, military status, marital status, partnership status, status as a victim of domestic violence, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected class as established by federal, state, or local law. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Jen Wickens, CEO, 3438 S. 148th St., Tukwila , WA 98186, (206) 712-7640, email@example.com