Summit Public Schools is seeking an experienced Manager of Data Engineering and Information Systems to support our schools. This role will lie on Summit’s Data Team.
Summit utilizes and maintains many data systems to manage its academic and operational structures, including our personalized learning platform. This role will develop and manage the technical, operational, and compliance tools and processes related to these data systems to ensure our schools are running smoothly. This role will work in tight coordination with school leaders, external technology vendors, and other individuals across the organization. This is one of the most cross-functional roles at Summit.
The ideal candidate is experienced in cleaning and analyzing data using a variety of tools and techniques. In particular, they have extensive experience with spreadsheets, experience in programming with a language like Python, and strong fluency in at least one data processing tool such as SQL or pandas. They have strong attention to detail, can manage technically complex projects, and enjoy solving tough problems. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adjust for different audiences are required.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with both the content knowledge and also the habits and skills necessary to successfully navigate college and career? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools. Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,000 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. Historically, 98 percent of Summit graduates are accepted into four-year colleges, and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop data dashboards, reports, and analyses using SQL and Google Sheets.
- Perform user testing and collect feedback to ensure data products effectively meet the needs of the users and of the organization.
- Analyze data to provide reports and summaries for key stakeholders such as School Executive Directors, Deans of Operations, and Home Office department leads.
- Build and maintain data pipelines to support school operations, external and internal reporting, and dashboard development.
- Ensure all relevant student data from external sources (enrollment, state testing, etc.) is maintained in Summit’s systems.
- Ensure information systems are functional and easy to access for all relevant stakeholders, including initial setup and ongoing maintenance of each system. This includes account provisioning with PowerSchool, Clever, the Summit Learning Platform, and other tools as needed.
- Ensure organization complies with all state and federal data security policies.
- Manage multiple large-scale, long-term projects with stakeholders across the organization, including school leaders, Home Office staff, and other Data team members.
- Examples of current cross-functional projects include:
- Supporting scheduling at school sites, including development of processes and training school-based faculty.
- Managing student recruitment and enrollment processes across the organization.
- Managing state, federal, and other required information reporting (e.g., CALPADS, SARCs, etc.) for schools and partnering with school-based personnel to ensure all information reported is accurate, reliable, compliant, and on-time.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values and a belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience or demonstrated interest in education, public policy, or social justice
- Strong fluency with spreadsheet software such as Excel or Google Sheets
- Experience with an object-oriented programming language like Python
- Strong fluency with at least one data processing tool such as SQL, pandas, R, SPSS, or Stata
- Knowledge of database structures and systems
- Ability to analyze and assess quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong project management and organizational skills with exceptionally strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills, especially in presenting data to different audiences
- Clear health and background check
- Willingness to work Pacific Time business hours preferred due to our schools operating in the Bay Area and Seattle regions
Strong candidates often have at least some of the following:
- At least 2 years of full-time, professional work experience
- A Master’s Degree in Education or a quantitative research field
- 2+ years classroom teaching experience
- Strong fluency in our existing technical toolset of SQL, Python, pandas, and Selenium
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization software
- Experience working with a student information system like PowerSchool, Aeries, Illuminate, or Infinite Campus
We encourage candidates to apply even if they don’t meet all of the above criteria.
Who You Are:
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in shared successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
- You’re a natural problem solver, and you seek out opportunities to make things better.
- You are adaptable, ready to thrive in a rapidly changing environment, and can learn the skills needed to meet the organization’s needs.
What you get:
In addition to joining a highly motivated team and engaging in meaningful work, you’ll have access to a comprehensive suite of benefits including a retirement plan, unlimited “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays, and 3 weeks of organization-wide closures during the year. You and your dependents will have access to multiple health, dental, and vision plans at 25% cost (we cover the other 75%) and employee life and disability insurance at no cost. Our compensation policy strives to be equitable and transparent.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.