We are seeking a mission aligned Mathematics Teacher to join the growing team at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy. Our ideal candidate is hard-working, entrepreneurial, and possesses a strong desire to foster high levels of academic achievement and socioemotional well-being with middle and high school scholars. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about scholars and excited to join a community-centered school driven to dismantle systemic oppression through the unit of the school .
RVLA employees are committed to continuing their own learning and refining their practice to stay current in the field, ensuring a quality education for all. RVLA offers weekly professional development, specialized cross-network professional development days in collaboration with others in the network, regular observations, coaching and feedback, and summer training for all staff. We believe strongly in providing training and support to all staff in order to enable strong teaching and learning in every classroom. Leadership opportunities are also available at RVLA.
To learn more about what it’s like to work at RVLA, please visit: wa.greendot.org/rvla.
ABOUT RAINIER VALLEY LEADERSHIP ACADEMY:
Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is located in Seattle’s thriving Southeast Seattle neighborhood. RVLA’s mission is driven by an unwavering belief in the potential of ALL scholars, eliminating barriers to learning and continuously striving for scholar success. We believe every scholar in every community deserves to go to a great school. With this belief in mind, RVLA opened its doors to a founding class of 6th grade scholars in August, 2017. In the Fall of 2018, it launched its high school with a founding class of 9th graders. We strive to build strong partnerships with scholars, families and community partners to foster a learning environment of belonging and community-centered leadership.
RVLA was originally launched as a Green Dot Washington school. Green Dot Washington is part of the larger Green Dot Public School network (www.greendot.org) which is one of the largest charter operators in the nation, focused on creating schools that relentlessly serve all learners.
Over the 2019-20 school year, RVLA is transitioning to become a community-centered, standalone school. As such, it is looking for team members who are inspired to lead this development of a locally-centered revisioning process that prioritizes community agency and our scholars’ voices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively instruct school scholars in mathematics as prescribed by college-ready, state, and RVLA academic content standards
- Utilize direct instruction, demonstration, audio-visual aids and other materials to supplement presentations with the overall goal of engaging scholar learning
- Teach a mentor group focused on social/emotional skill-building, college, leadership, and life
- Maintain effective supervision and discipline in the classroom
- Set clear short-term and long-term goals to drive instruction
- Develop and submit daily and weekly lesson plans, unit plans, and assessments containing standards, objectives, essential questions, and assessments;
- Assign, review, and provide feedback on scholar homework
- Consistently administer tests to evaluate scholar progress, record results, and issue meaningful reports to inform parents of progress
- Attend faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required
- Work as part of interdisciplinary team and within content areas planning and aligning curricula to ensure that instruction follows curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school
- Create and implement scholar intervention plans when necessary
- Maintain the school’s scholar management policies and procedures (i.e., attendance records, dress code, etc.) and report to the school administrators when necessary
- Work with other teachers and administrators to address and resolve scholar issues
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of all scholars
- Lead and participate in scholar activities such as: sponsoring scholar activities or organizations, coaching a sports team, working with parents and the community as part of a committee or group, provide morning or after school supervision, and chaperoning scholar events.
- Abide by all state and federal mandates in reporting sexual or physical abuse and neglect.
- Special projects and duties outside of primary teaching responsibility as assigned.
- Participate in other events aimed at promoting or developing Green Dot Rainier Valley Leadership Academy (i.e., scholar recruitment)
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- Valid Washington State Teaching Certificate with content-area endorsement
- Experience teaching mathematics at the middle or high school level
- Knowledge of and experience with Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
- Experience designing curricula and assessments (highly preferred)
- Can articulate a clear, compelling vision for strong math instruction
- Excellent collaborative and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Growth mindset and love of learning
- A strong ethical base and self-awareness
- Relentless commitment to and high standards for high quality execution
- Passionate with a strong sense of personal responsibility towards achieving ambitious goals
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow
- Humility, sense of humor, and rock-solid commitment to Green Dot’s mission and the Southeast Seattle community
- Commitment to building programs from beginning to end
- Ability to multi-task and function in a high-energy environment
RVLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants.
Compensation for this role is competitive and based on education and experience. In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of scholars in Southeast Seattle.
If interested in this position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted, and we interview and hire on a rolling basis. The start date for this position is early August, 2020.
RVLA does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights, 504 and Title IX Coordinator: Chastity Catchings, (206) 659-0956, email@example.com, 6020 Rainier Ave. South Seattle, WA 98118.