ABOUT RAINIER VALLEY LEADERSHIP ACADEMY:
Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is a public, tuition-free, charter school, providing an anti-racist collaborative community and rigorous education, while providing access to civic leadership and college success for all scholars in Seattle. RVLA will serve grades 6-12 in the Seattle Community. We respect and celebrate the wealth and vitality of the ethnic and cultural traditions that thrive in our neighborhood. Our mission is to put every child on the path to success in college and career, leadership, and life.
We integrate college and career-ready and hands-on instruction to expose all scholars to a variety of authentic experiences. Our teachers use data driven collection to meet scholar needs and differentiation. We use common planning time and collaborative team time to analyze data to inform instruction. We provide a teacher mentor for every scholar, and focus on personalized learning.
RVLA boasts a highly-qualified and diverse faculty and staff that not only have excellent educational credentials, but also bring to the school community many years of dedication to scholar success and passion for our mission. Our small school community allows adults to know each other and every scholar by name, strength and need. We pride ourselves on building and maintaining close relationships with each other, our community, scholars and families.
This position assists in one to one or small group tutoring in before, during, and after-school programs (based on programmatic and tutor availability), ensuring that scholars are in a safe, well-supervised environment that provides them with a well-designed academic and enrichment programming.
RVLA is looking for high energy tutors with skills to help implement and sustain high quality supplemental supports at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy. The ideal candidate will have experience working with children, preferably in a teaching/tutoring setting..
School Tutors must be a consummate team player and creative problem solver, who will be able to work effectively with diverse audiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviewing classroom or curricula topics and assignments
- Assisting scholars with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, research and other academic tasks
- Working with scholars to help them understand key concepts, especially those learned in the classroom
- Teaching skills to improve academic performance, including study strategies, note-taking skills and approaches to answering test questions
- Demonstrating academic best practices for specific subjects and assignments, including research and writing tactics
- Developing and distributing teaching materials to supplement classroom lessons, including study guides
- Conducting practice tests to track progress, identify areas of improvement and help set goals for exam preparation
- Providing students positive and constructive feedback
- Offering feedback on progress to students’ parents and teachers where appropriate
- Collaboratively and proactively working with instructional colleagues to differentiate and provide tutoring supports
This employer strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential.
- Experience working with middle/high school scholars .
- Experience working in South Seattle or familiarity with communities we serve preferred.
- Dependability, humility, sense of humor, and rock-solid commitment to RVLA’s anti-racist mission and the communities we serve.
Compensation and current Roles Available:
|Title||Compensation Rate||Status||FTE Equivalent||Estimated Annual Hours||Benefit Eligibility|
|21st CLCC Instructional Tutor||25||PT||No|
|Heritage Program Tutor||25||PT||No|
Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.