Math Teacher (MS, HS)
Reports to: Principal
Job Status: Full Time/Exempt
School Year Employee
Start Date: August 2023
Location: Seattle, WA
ABOUT RAINIER VALLEY LEADERSHIP ACADEMY:
Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is a public, tuition-free, charter school, providing an anti-racist collaborative community and rigorous education, while providing access to civic leadership and college success for all scholars in Seattle. RVLA will serve grades 6-12 in the Seattle Community. We respect and celebrate the wealth and vitality of the ethnic and cultural traditions that thrive in our neighborhood. Our mission is to put every child on the path to success in college and career, leadership, and life.
We integrate college and career-ready and hands-on instruction to expose all scholars to a variety of authentic experiences. Our teachers use data driven collection to meet scholar needs and differentiation. We use common planning time and collaborative team time to analyze data to inform instruction. We provide a teacher mentor for every scholar, and focus on personalized learning.
RVLA boasts a highly-qualified and diverse faculty and staff that not only have excellent educational credentials, but also bring to the school community many years of dedication to scholar success and passion for our mission. Our small school community allows adults to know each other and every scholar by name, strength and need. We pride ourselves on building and maintaining close relationships with each other, our community, scholars and families.
We are seeking a mission aligned Mathematics Teacher to join the growing team at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy to serve scholars in grades 6-12. Our ideal candidate is scholar focused and utilizes innovative, data driven, anti-racist instructional practices to engage, connect and build relationships with scholars and their families to foster educational success. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about having a long term commitment to joining the RVLA community and wants to help build a community-centered school driven to dismantle systemic oppression through the unit of the school.
To learn more about what it’s like to work at RVLA, please visit: myrvla.org
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively instruct scholars in Mathematics as prescribed by college-ready, state, and RVLA academic content standards
- Utilize direct instruction, demonstration, audio-visual aids and other materials to supplement presentations with the overall goal of engaging scholar learning
- Teach a mentor group focused on social/emotional skill-building, college and career
- Maintain effective supervision and discipline in the classroom
- Set clear short-term and long-term goals to drive instruction
- Develop and submit decolonized daily and weekly lesson plans, unit plans, and assessments containing standards, objectives, essential questions, and assessments;
- Assign, review, and provide feedback on scholar work regularly
- Consistently administer assessments to evaluate scholar progress, record results, and issue meaningful reports to inform parents of progress
- Attend faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence
- Attend Grade Level Team and Content Meetings
- Serve on school pillar committees to forward the organizational mission
- Work as part of interdisciplinary team and within content areas planning and aligning curricula to ensure that instruction follows curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school
- Create and implement scholar intervention plans when necessary
- Maintain the school’s scholar management policies and procedures (i.e., attendance records, dress code, etc.) and report to the school administrators when necessary
- Work with other teachers and administrators to address and resolve scholar issues
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of all scholars
- Lead and participate in scholar activities such as: sponsoring scholar activities or organizations, coaching a team, working with parents and the community as part of a committee or group, provide morning or after school supervision, and chaperoning scholar events.
- Abide by all state and federal mandates in reporting sexual or physical abuse and neglect.
- Special projects and duties outside of primary teaching responsibility as assigned.
- Participate in other events aimed at promoting or developing Rainier Valley Leadership Academy (i.e., scholar recruitment)
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- Valid Washington State Teaching Certificate with content-area endorsement
- Experience teaching Mathematics at the middle or high school level
- Knowledge of and experience with Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
- Experience designing curricula and assessments (highly preferred)
- Can articulate a clear, compelling vision for strong math instruction
- Excellent collaborative and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Growth mindset and love of learning
- A strong ethical base and self-awareness
- Relentless commitment to high standards for high quality execution
- Passionate with a strong sense of personal responsibility towards achieving ambitious goals
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow
- Humility, sense of humor, and rock-solid commitment to RVLA’s mission and the Southeast Seattle community
- Commitment to building programs from beginning to end
- Ability to multi-task and function in a high-energy environment
- Clear fingerprints & background check with Puget Sound Educational Service District
- Official College Transcripts
RVLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants
Compensation and current Roles Available:
|Title||Compensation Rate||Status||FTE Equivalent||Estimated Weekly Hours||Benefit Eligibility|
|Math Teacher||$60,323-$97,904||FT||1.0||40 hrs||Yes|
If interested in this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted, and we interview and hire on a rolling basis. The start date for this position is late August 2023.Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.