In September 2019, WA Charters was awarded nearly $20M through the federal Charter Schools Program (CSP) Grant.
Ninety percent of these funds will be distributed by WA Charters through sub-grants to Washington state charter public schools. These sub-grants will provide direct funding to open new and expand existing high-quality charter public schools. Remaining funds will be used to provide resources to support the overall quality and growth of the Washington charter sector and administration of the grant.
Six five-year planning and implementation grants providing up to $1.5M each will be awarded: up to $200,000 in planning year funding and up to $1.3M in implementation funding over four years.
To be eligible to apply for planning and implementation sub-grant funds, a charter public school must have a newly approved charter for a charter public school by a Washington state authorizer or be a Waiver School.
To be eligible to apply for expansion sub-grant funds, a charter public school must have an approved charter for a charter public school by a Washington state authorizer and show they are high-quality.
Waiver schools are eligible to apply for CSP implementation sub-grant funds under a waiver. Waiver Schools must:
- Have a previous CSP Planning Grant under No Child Left Behind through the Washington State Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Be on track to be an operating school in the 2020-21 school year
NEW CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOLS
New charter public schools are eligible to apply for CSP planning and implementation sub-grant funds. New charter public schools must:
- Have an approved/authorized charter application
- Have 501(c)3 designation
Note: If funds are awarded, funds may not be spent until a charter contract is fully executed
Expanding charter public schools – or expansion schools – are eligible to apply for CSP expansion sub-grant funds. Expansion schools must:
- Have an approved application for expansion of a currently high-quality, operating charter public school
Please note the important dates below and plan on attending both a pre-application opening webinar and in-person training, depending on the type of sub-grant for which you are applying.
EXPANSION OF CURRENT CHARTER SCHOOLS
Application period August 2022-October 2022
Please check back for updated dates and application information
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Allowable expenses include:
- Preparing teachers, school leaders and instructional support personnel through professional development.
- Hiring and compensating teachers, school leaders, and instructional support staff during the planning year.
- Acquiring supplies, training, equipment, and educational materials.
- Carrying out necessary renovations to ensure that a new school building complies with building regulations and minor facilities repairs (excluding construction).
- One-time transportation start-up costs.
- Community engagement activities, including paying cost of student/staff recruitment and informing the community about the school.