Strong leadership and dynamic teams are cornerstones of a great school.
Our School Leadership and Design Fellowship (SLDF) is a small, cohort-based incubation experience for individuals or teams who are ready to begin designing a high-quality, transformational charter public school.
Watch School Leaders Reflect on SLDF
Our core design principles
WA Charters is model agnostic. We work with leaders designing a variety of school model types. However, we believe that all transformational schools have certain core principles in common:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels – students, staff, board, and community
- Post-secondary readiness for ALL students
- Students-first approach that includes personalization and restorative practices to meet the academic and social-emotional needs of the whole child
- A foundation of strong leadership and exceptional teaching
- Authentic engagement with families and communities to co-create solutions to serve educational needs within the community
- Contribute to the growth of a healthy public education sector
Our innovative approach
The School Leadership and Design Fellowship is the first phase of a multi-phase journey of
designing, planning, and opening a high-quality school.
Designing and applying to open an excellent school is a heavy lift. Our School Leadership and Design Fellows benefit from a full range of financial, technical, and strategic supports.
- One Year Salary Stipend
- Application Writing
- Coaching and Project Management
- Model Development
- Guided Travel to High-Performing Charter Schools
- Community Engagement
- Board Development
- Securing Additional Grants
“Because of the support of the WA Charters SLDF, I have been given the gift of developing this robust model in community with teen parents and we believe it will be a life-changing school for our students and their families. I am grateful to be a part of such an amazing organization and truly wouldn’t be making this dream a reality without WA Charters.”
Founder and Executive Director,
Lumen High School, Spokane (Opening in 2020)